This course introduces basic concept of finance, logic, probability and statistics and basics of mathematical modelling. Real-life applications will be emphasised.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of the course, each student should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic skills in logical inference.
- Apply basic probability theory to reasoning with uncertainty.
- Apply basic statistical skills to solve real life problems.
- Describe how mathematics can be used in everyday life.
- Build and use simple mathematical models to get approximate answers to real life problems.
Lectures and assessments
The course consists of 28 one-hour-15-minute lectures, two non-graded homework, two graded-homework, and a final exam.
For the detail of the course, see here.